What are industry placements?
A simpler approach to vocational training
An industry placement is part of a T Level course - a new qualification for 16-19-year olds that have been designed by employers. T Level students spend 80% of the course in the classroom, learning the skills that employers need. The other 20% is a meaningful industry placement, where they put these skills into action.
Industry placements are a shift from traditional work experience to a longer, more structured placement in the workplace for young people to develop real work skills and make a meaningful contribution to your organisation. Placements will last at least 315 hours (approx. 45 days).
Why offer industry placements?
Industry placements give you:
- fresh ideas and input from the next generation
- a talent pipeline for the future
- a way for you to fill skills gaps
- a chance for staff to develop supervisory and mentoring skills
- an opportunity to build a more diverse workforce
- an enhanced reputation in your community
Over the next few years, T Levels will scale up to include 23 courses, covering 11 skill areas.
Industry placements are happening now
To prepare for T Levels, employers are partnering with local colleges and schools to trial industry placements.
Industry placements give you a chance to work alongside the next generation of workers entering your industry, making sure they develop the knowledge, attitude and practical skills to succeed.
More than 2000 employers are already working with local colleges and schools to offer industry placements.
If you're interested in offering an industry placement, contact us.